Friday, April 20, 2018

Preach, Pray, or Die: Speaking up, Being Mindful, Following Your Passion


Who we are is shaped by our life experiences, our families, our friends, our religious and cultural traditions. I grew up in Eastern Canada in a religious tradition that was predominantly shaped by Methodism. Two degrees in religious studies also shaped my understanding of some of the world’s major religious traditions as well as my understanding of the world.  While I have been a librarian for more years than I can count, I often go back to my first degrees for inspiration or sometimes provocation.

The Eighteenth Century British cleric and theologian, John Wesley, expected that his Methodist ministers would be ready to preach, pray, or die at a moment’s notice.  While this might seem an odd mantra for a library blog, I think there are some interesting lessons that can be drawn from this saying.

Preach (Speak Up)
While librarians do not preach in the religious sense, we do speak, talk, advocate, and debate heatedly about libraries and their impact.  The idea that librarians are a quiet, reserved group, is a movie caricature, and one that should be discarded.

Over the years I’ve been told that I needed to have an “elevator speech” – a pithy two or three sentences about the library in case I had a couple of minutes to talk to the university president, a donor, a faculty member, or students.  I think the elevator speech idea is too simplistic, as if the work and impact of a university library can be so glibly distilled.  Rather I think there are a series of stories of impact that can and should be developed that provide a richer and more nuanced view of the library and the library staff and the work they do. People are seldom moved by facts and figures (number of books, or number of visitors) but rather they are moved by stories of what difference the building, the services, or parts of the collection have made to students or faculty, or the public.

Jim Neal, University Librarian emeritus, Columbia University, once stated in a presentation I attended, that every librarian should find a way to have a voice- to present their work, their ideas, and their impact beyond themselves. This is sage advice and one that I have been attempting to follow.

In today’s highly politicized environment it is even more important to speak up about things that matter. It is sometimes easy to think that one voice doesn’t matter but I’ve learned that every person’s voice counts, especially in changing the world for good.  This year, for the first time I participated in the Women’s March. Along with my daughter Rachel, we joined more than 650,000 others in Los Angeles to speak up for women, their rights and their role in our society.  It was amazing to see the passion of people to change the world for the better.

Pray (Be Mindful)
In today’s society there is, for many, a recognition that prayer, or meditation, or mindfulness plays an important role for individuals and for some communities. In my more than 30 years as a librarian, I have found that rather than prayer, meditation, or mindfulness, we often see busyness, frustration, exhaustion, and sometimes burnout. Our work life, our commute, our use of social media consume a greater and greater part of our day and week.  Each of us in the library profession want to make a difference, to do good work, to change our work and our world for the better, but we often feel frustrated or unable to move forward in a positive way. We often put off the important for the urgent.

One of the significant educational/professional development events in my career was the ACRL/Harvard Leadership Institute for Academic Librarians.  While the people in the program were interesting, the instructors were great, and the material was thought provoking, the most valuable part of the week long program, for me, was the opportunity to be reflective.  Where in our very busy work and personal lives do we have the opportunity to take five full days and think critically and reflectively about our work, our profession, and ourselves?

As I have some extra time these days, I have been reflecting on what is important to me, both personally and professionally. Are there projects that I’ve been wanting to do but I’ve put off for another day because of work, or fear of failure, or general busyness?  Are there friends and family that I’ve been neglecting because I’ve been so busy.

I’ve also been reflecting on people who are not like me and what their experience of the world is like. I live in a very diverse part of the US where the majority of people I see don’t look like me. Right now at Panera Bread where I’m sitting to write, I see a well-dressed African American man doing some work and I’m wondering how he feels in light of the arrest of two innocent African American men in Starbucks this week. I see Asian and Hispanic students and wonder how they experience the world and what sort of systemic prejudice they deal with on a regular basis. I think of my own adopted Hispanic children and think on how to make the world better for them.

Reflection, prayer, or mindfulness should lead us to awareness of ourselves and others and move us from inaction to action. It should lead to appreciation and thankfulness, and hopefully to some forward movement.

Or Die (Find Your Passion)

John Wesley expected that Methodist ministers would live in such a way that there would be no regrets if they died at any time.  I think the value of the “die” section of this mantra for us is not about dying but on how we spend our time and our passion while we have time.  

In general, librarians are very passionate individuals. We are passionate about many things: the right to privacy, the right to read anything and everything without interference, the needs of our communities and our students to name a few. Librarians, for the most part, are passionate about social justice, even if at times we get things wrong.  We want our world to be a better place. We want people to be treated fairly and equitably.

One of the things that I think plagues librarians is that we want to do everything. We are passionate about so many parts of our work and about so many issues in our country and world.  My challenge to myself is to focus part of this time of reflection on the one, two, or maybe three things to be really passionate about and to devote serious energy to. I am expecting that I will work another 10 years before I retire and I want these ten years to be meaningful for me, my family, my profession, and the world.

My challenge to all of you is to Speak up, Be Mindful, and Find Your Passion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The role of daydreaming and Imagination

Often when I am sitting in a meeting, a lecture, or presentation, my mind wanders. Early on in my career I found this annoying but over time...